Last Updated on May 29, 2022 by John Moretti
Considering the growing popularity of Nespresso, the Nespresso company has had machines designed by numerous companies. As an experienced home barista Nespresso lover, I have had the chance to try some of these machines. However, is there a Nespresso machine that stands out from the rest? Which one makes the best latte and cappuccino?
The best Nespresso machine for making lattes and cappuccinos is the Nespresso Lattissima Pro manufactured by De’Longhi. Though this machine is not the most highly rated, the number of features and attached milk frother puts it above the most highly rated machine, the Nespresso Vertuo.
Though there is one machine that I regard as the best machine for cappuccinos and lattes, other devices also offer a variety of benefits. Below, I have listed my top picks for the best Nespresso machines for lattes and cappuccinos. I have made my choices based on automation, user ratings, latte art, and customization to provide some variety.
Best Overall Machine: Nespresso Lattissima Pro
The Nespresso Lattissima Pro, manufactured by De’Longhi, is my first choice for making lattes and cappuccinos. This machine is automatic and allows you to make whichever coffee you prefer with the press of a button. Along with the simple to use top buttons that enable you to choose a drink type, the milk frother also comes with a knob so you can choose foam levels.
The Nespresso Lattissima Pro also sports a 43.96 oz water reservoir, and the milk tank can hold up to 16 oz of milk at a time. This machine also produces at least 19 bars of pressure, and the heat up from a cold start can take only seconds, though there is no specific time frame provided.
The milk container attached to the machine also allows you to make foamy or hot milk with the press of a button. The automatic milk frothing will enable you to relax and have a great latte or cappuccino prepared for you. The milk container can also be detached from the rest of the machine, allowing you to store the milk in the fridge.
The manufacturing materials of this machine consist of two main components, plastic, and anodized aluminum. This machine is also relatively compact, measuring 7.6 x 13 x 14 inches. (W x D x H) This machine also has a folding drip tray for smaller drinks if you wish to use it.
This machine uses the original pod type meaning that you will never struggle to find the best pod for yourself. The fact that this machine uses the original pod type also means that you will have a wider variety of flavors and profiles to choose from, providing you with even more customizability.
De’Longhi, the manufacturer of this Nespresso machine, is also known for its high-quality devices and expert extraction of coffee. This manufacturer’s machines are being used globally by many baristas and home brewers alike, allowing you comfort in a company that has proven itself to many.
There are two separate processes for the cleaning of this machine. The first is called the “rapid cappuccino system,” and the second is the rest of the device. The rapid cappuccino system can be easily disassembled and is safe to wash in the top rack of your dishwasher. There are also handwashing steps included in the manual for this machine.
The rest of the machine goes through a descaling cycle. I recommend doing this cycle regularly, but there is also an alert when needed. The descaling process is straightforward, and instructions come in the user manual.
Best Rated Nespresso Machine: Nespresso Vertuo
The Nespresso Vertuo is a stand-alone Nespresso machine with intelligent technology to read barcodes. Once the device has read the barcode, it will automatically adjust to the specifications of the coffee in the pod to produce the best taste possible. The Nespresso machine can take as little as 30 seconds to heat before you can extract your coffee.
Because this is a combo and lacks customizability, I have rated this duo as the second-best “machine” for making lattes and cappuccinos. However, this Nespresso machine and milk frother combo is the most highly rated on Amazon.com.
This machine does not have a milk frother attached, but the Aerocinno Nespresso milk frother is often added to this machine to enable you to make whichever milky drink you desire. The link to this machine below is a combination set of the Nespresso machine and the milk frother. Combined, these two devices are the most highly rated Nespresso machine for lattes and cappuccinos.
The manufacturer of the Nespresso Vertuo is De’Longhi. The De’Longhi company is known for its expertise in the coffee scene and its brilliant and innovative coffee machines.
As stated above, this machine uses barcodes on the coffee pods to detect each cup’s best setting. These pods are called Vertuo capsules, and this machine is not compatible with the original Nespresso pods. The downside is that these pods can be more expensive, harder to come by, and do not have as many variants as the original pods.
The only customizability for this combo is the choice between hot or cold milk froth. The Nespresso machine itself does not allow for any other options. The water reservoir capacity of the Nespresso machine is 54 oz, and the milk frother has a capacity of a maximum of 8 oz for hot frothed milk.
Both of the devices included in the combo are easy to use with only a single button to press. The cleaning and descaling processes to clean these devices are included in the manuals and are very straightforward.
The Nespresso machine measures at 9 x 12.3 x 12.2 inches (W x D x H) and is made from plastic with chrome finishes.
Best For Latte Art: Nespresso Creatista Plus
As a latte art enthusiast and a home barista who prides themselves on making decent-looking latte art, I had to include this Nespresso machine. The Nespresso Creatista Plus is a Nespresso machine that looks beautiful and can make excellent coffee.
Breville is the manufacturer of this Nespresso machine, another highly rated coffee machine manufacturer known for its quality home brewing products. This sleek brushed stainless steel design is durable and good-looking in any kitchen or coffee station. The size of this machine is measured 6.7 x 16.1 x 12.2 inches (W x D x H), making it compact for all its capabilities.
This machine can heat up in only three seconds and offers up to 19 bars of pressure to ensure the best coffee extraction. Along with the quick heating time, this machine also offers you many ways to customize your coffee, starting with the fact that it uses original Nespresso pods that come in a wide variety of flavors and strengths.
Once the Nespresso machine has booted up, you can choose from coffee recipes, pre-programmed milk temperatures, and milk frothing textures. This means that you have the maximum control of your milk, so you can make a drink the way you want to. The heat sensing pad on the machine’s drip tray also allows you to rest assured that your milk will not overheat.
This Nespresso machine also comes with a Breville stainless steel frothing jug included. This included milk frothing jug allows you to make latte art with ease if you wish. The water tank of this machine can also hold 60 ounces of water without having to be refilled.
When making a coffee with this drink, you can choose your preferred settings from the screen on top of the machine by using the turning knob just below the screen. This screen allows you to know what the result will be. Altogether, the features of this machine make it the best for barista-grade latte art.
The cleaning of this machine can be a bit tricky since you have to clean the frothing wand after every use, and descaling can seem a bit harder to do. However, this machine comes with a water hardness test that the device uses to tell you when descaling is needed.
Best For Customization: Nespresso Gran Lattissima
Like the Lattissima Pro, the Nespresso Gran Lattissima is an excellent and elegant-looking Nespresso machine perfect for making lattes and cappuccinos. With its stainless steel components and a size of 7.99 x 14.44 x 10.86 inches (W x D x H), this device will look beautiful in any home or even in a shop or office.
This machine can heat up in as little as 25 seconds but also takes 15 seconds to produce enough heat and pressure for the milk. The 19 bars of pressure and use of the original pods allow for maximum customization of the coffee and perfect extraction.
This machine also has more espresso and drink options than the Lattissima Pro. Though this might be great for some, it can also mean more time figuring out the buttons. This machine also has a smaller water tank measured at just below 34 ouches of water, though the milk jug is a little bigger at 16.9 ounces.
The Gran Lattissima is also an automatic machine making it easy to use, and cleaning the device is also simple with instructions included in the manual. All-in-all I would say this is the best Nespresso machine if you are looking to customize your latte or cappuccino to your standards.
What To Look For
- Size: The size of a Nespresso machine can make or break your experience. If your kitchen is smaller or you do not have a lot of space, a more compact model will surely be a better option than a bigger model.
- Heating Time: No one wants to wait for their machine to heat up before being able to have the coffee you’ve been craving. The heating time can significantly affect how much you enjoy using a device. This statement is especially true if you do not have a lot of time to wait for your machine to heat up.
- Pod Type: If you are looking for a coffee experience that takes little to no effort rather than being customizable, you would probably prefer the Nespresso Vertuo pods over the original pods. The original pods are easier to find, have more variety, and are less expensive.
- Manufacturer: The manufacturer of a specific Nespresso machine can significantly impact the quality of the device. It is always best to look for a manufacturer known for high-quality products, especially one that has experience in the coffee industry.
- Milk Frother: The frother that comes with your Nespresso machine is essential for your experience in creating lattes and cappuccinos. If the added frother cannot make milk the way you like, you will naturally not have the best of experiences.
- Manufacturing Materials: The manufacturing materials of a machine can directly correlate to its quality and durability. A lightweight plastic machine not only feels cheap but might also have cheaper components inside. Cheaper or lower-quality parts are more prone to damage or breaking.
- Customizability: If you are passionate about your coffee, the customizability options of a machine can make or break your experience with the device. At the same time, customizability might make brewing a coffee take longer. Sometimes we have to choose between customizability or time.
- Water Reservoir Size: To fill up your Nespresso machine’s water reservoir is a part of the process that we all have to accept. However, if you bought a device with a considerably smaller water tank than you are used to, you might end up regretting your purchase. It is always good to consider the water tank size before buying a new Nespresso machine.
- Ease Of Use: Customizability and ease of use go hand in hand with Nespresso machines. Buying a Nespresso machine with too many options that you can’t figure out will undoubtedly sour your experience. If you struggle with these kinds of things, it might be best to go for a Nespresso machine with fewer options that are easier to use.
- Cleaning Procedures: Like filling up the water tank of your Nespresso machine, we all accept that we have to clean our machines from time to time. It is best to do the basics after every use, but descaling isn’t needed as regularly.
However, some Nespresso machines are a lot harder to clean than others. Some devices come with dishwasher-safe and detachable parts, while others require you to clean the machine without disassembly. If you are easily annoyed with cleaning processes, you might go for a more straightforward machine to wash.
Nespresso machines can be some of the most amazing devices that allow us to make cappuccinos and lattes in the comfort of our own homes. However, seeing as there are so many machines to choose from, it is best to research them before purchasing. Though the primary use might be to make your favorite milky drink, many aspects can improve or worsen your experience.