Last Updated on May 26, 2022 by John Moretti
One of the many reasons people buy and crave coffee from coffee shops is the frothy foam that comes with it. The coffee somehow tastes better when there is a pretty foamy milk pattern. But did you know you don’t burn a hole in your pocket spending on takeout coffee anymore? There are easy ways to make cold foam at home.
Make homemade cold foam using a regular electric blender, a handheld electric mixer, an immersion blender, a frothing wand, an automatic electric milk frother, a French press, or a manual whisk. You can also use a clean empty jar or bottle with a tight lid and shake the milk into foam.
You can find 8 easy ways to make cold foam in the list below:
Make Cold Foam At Home Using An Electric Blender
You can make homemade cold foam using your regular electric blender. Most homes already have a blender, and it does the job quickly and efficiently. Here is how to do it:
- Place your milk or half and half in the blender.
- Blend the milk for 1-2 minutes until it is frothy.
- Pour into your coffee cup.
Using A Handheld Electric Mixer
Enjoy making homemade cold foam using a handheld electric mixer. You can conveniently use your electric baking mixer whisk to make the foam, and here is how:
- Place the milk or creamer in a bowl or mug that is big enough to host the mixer blades.
- Switch the mixer on in the milk.
- Let it mix for 1-3 minutes until thick and foamy.
Using An Immersion Blender
An immersion blender is a convenient electronic to make cold foam. It usually fits right into your drinking cup, so it saves you dishes. Here is how:
- Pour your milk or creamer into a cup or bowl that holds the end of the blender.
- Use your immersion blender to froth the milk for a couple of minutes.
- If you use a bowl, pour the foamy milk into your coffee.
Using A Frothing Wand
A frothing wand is one of the quickest, easy, lightweight, and most convenient gadgets to make cold foam at home. It doesn’t have to be plugged in, and you can travel with it. It even fits into a handbag. Here is how to do it:
- Pour your milk or half & half into a cup.
- Place your frothing wand into the milk, and start it.
- Gently move it around for about 1 minute until the milk is thick and becomes foamy.
Using An Automatic Electric Milk Frother
An automatic electric milk frother is specifically designed to make milk foam. It is a fun gadget to use at home to get that coffee boutique-quality drink. You get various brands that work differently, but the concept is generally the same. Here is how you can do it:
- Pour the milk or creamer into the automatic frother.
- Put the lid on.
- Switch the frother on according to the instructions. The leaflet will let you know if you have to press the button on the frother one or two times, while other frothers will have a separate switch for cold foam.
Using A French Press
A French press is something many people own. You can make cold foam at home using it instead of purchasing another gadget or electronic. Here is how to do it:
- Pour your milk or half and a half into the French press.
- Put the lid on.
- Start the plunger and move it up and down for about 40-60 seconds.
- Your foam will be ready for your favorite drink.
Using A Manual Whisk
A manual whisk is an excellent option for making cold foam at home if you don’t have any electric gadgets. Most homes have one for whisking eggs and roux. Use a small-sized one for convenience when making foam. Here is how to do it:
- Pour your milk or creamer into a cup if you have a thin whisk or a bowl if you use a large whisk.
- Whisk the milk or cream for a couple of minutes continuously.
- Your milk will thicken and get frothy.
Using An Empty Bottle Or Jar
Using an empty bottle or jar is an affordable and easy way to make cold foam at home without any tools or gadgets. You can keep a jar of pickles you bought or save a juice bottle for making milk froth at home. Here is how to do it:
- Pour your milk into a clean and empty jar or bottle and close it tightly with a lid.
- Shake the jar or bottle vigorously for about 2 minutes or longer if needed.
- You will notice the milk become thick and foamy.
- You can then pour it into your desired drink.
Notes & Tips When Making Cold Foam At Home
- You do not only have to use milk, creamer, or half and half independently. You can mix two if you enjoy your foam that way.
- Don’t limit yourself to making cold foam only for cold-based drinks. You can add cold foam to your hot coffees and teas to help them get to a drinking temperature.
- If you use sweetener, add it to the milk before frothing. You will get even better and thicker foam, and that will make your drink all the more luxurious.
- Your milk, creamer, or half and half will be best if you use it chilled from the refrigerator. It will froth up quicker and hold the foam longer.
- If you use any electric gadgets, try your best to avoid spilling any liquid on the wires or plugs.
Now you can save some cash and make your own delicious, luxurious, frothy, cold milk foam at home using the above methods and feel like you have restaurant quality coffee all the time.