Last Updated on November 28, 2021 by John Moretti
These days, it’s possible to find nitro cold brew coffee on the menu at most cafes, but they do end up costing you a lot more than you would be spending if you were making your own cold brew at home.
There are so many options on the market, so it’s easy to get overwhelmed. These machines are not all created equal. I’ve taken the time to do the research and come up with what I feel are the best 6 nitro cold brew coffee makers. This should help you decide which one is best for your needs.
This article will be taking a closer look at the following nitro cold brew coffee machines:
- Best Overall – HB Brewing Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Best for Home Brew – NutriChef Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Best Versatile – Hatfields London NitroPress
- Best Commercial Use – Beverage Elements Nitro Coffee Cold Brew Coffee Keg Kit
- Best Value – Royal Brew Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Best All-in-One – GrowlerWerks uKeg Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Before getting into the review of each one, let’s take a look at the things you should look for when purchasing a nitro cold brew coffee machine.
The 5 Features to Look for in A Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Machine
While it’s true that all of these coffee machines are made to yield the same results, you should consider a few things when making your decision. This ensures that you will get the most appropriate model for your needs.
When it comes to nitro cold brew coffee machines, you will find that there’s a wide variety of sizes. There are personal models, such as the Hatfields London NitroPress Nitro Coffee maker, to make 1 to 2 cups for yourself.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are the larger models, such as the Beverage Elements Nitro Coffee Cold Brew Coffee Keg Kit, to make enough for a large group of people.
Then, some models fall anywhere in between the two on the spectrum. You must decide how many people you will be making nitro brew coffee for most often.
Something else you’ll want to consider is how often you plan to make your nitro cold brew coffee. Once you have made the cold brew concentrate, it will last in your fridge for about 2 weeks. This way, you can add it as needed to a small container.
Additionally, you can store the cold brew concentrate in the nitro container instead so that you can pour yourself a cup when you want. Those who prefer fresh nitro coffee may prefer to stick with the smaller containers, steeping it more often instead of brewing a large batch to keep on hand.
In addition to knowing how much the coffee container can hold, you’ll want to know the dimensions of the machine.
This is the size of the entire piece, including the cartridge holder, handle, and spout. This will tell you how much room you will need on your counter when you’re pouring a cup of nitro cold brew, as well as how much room you will need in your refrigerator to store it.
The taller models, such as the Royal Brew Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker, won’t fit very well into a smaller fridge unless you can shift the shelves around to make room. The smaller models may still require some space to accommodate them, but it will be much easier to make room for a smaller one than a taller one.
Keep in mind that you can find compact models, such as the Hatfields London NitroPress, which is portable. You can store this one in the door of your refrigerator or even tuck it into a bag so that you can carry it with you and have nitro brew coffee anywhere you go.
There are several different designs to choose from, such as:
- Keg models, such as the HB Brewing Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Canister models, such as the Beverage Elements Nitro Coffee Cold Brew Keg Kit
- Bottle shapes in several different sizes
There’s not one design that’s better than the rest; it just depends on your personal preference.
In addition to the shape of the system, there are several color options to choose from. Most of them are stainless steel, which is a shiny silver color that grabs your attention. You can also find other color options, including white, matte black, and even chrome black. Once again, there’s no “right” or “wrong” color choice. It’s all a matter of what you prefer.
Another design feature to consider would be a built-in handle. While this isn’t as important in the smaller, compact models, you will definitely want to have a decent handle on the larger ones so that you can easily move it from your counter to your fridge.
The final design feature you’ll want to consider is cleaning. The easier it is to clean, the more you’ll enjoy using it. Most of them do come with cleaning brushes, so you don’t have to purchase any extra tools.
While it’s not common with these coffee machines, a dishwasher-friendly piece is great because it makes the cleaning process that much easier.
One of the most important features to consider is the warranty that comes with your nitro cold brew system.
Even the least expensive machines are $150+, so you’ll want to have the peace of mind that it will work like it’s supposed to, and you’re covered if anything happens to it, and you need repair or replacement.
Most of them include a 1 or 2-year warranty, which is acceptable. Some of them, such as the Royal Brew Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker, include a lifetime warranty. This way, you’re covered even if issues don’t show up until later.
This proves that they stand behind their product and believe it will last longer than others on the market.
5. What Comes in the Kit
A good kit will include everything you need to get started with brewing your own nitro cold brew coffee.
In addition to the canister, it should include a spout/tap handle system, cartridge holder, hoses, and a pressure valve. You can assemble these parts to create the ideal nitro cold brew system.
Some kits include cleaning brushes, carrying bags, tap plugs that prevent leakage between pours, and even a serving mat to keep the area clean.
Most of the kits lack the nitrogen cartridges that you need to nitro brew the cold brew concentrate. Some of them do include these cartridges. You’ll want to double-check the package to find out if cartridges are included or if you need to purchase them separately to get started brewing your own nitro brew coffee.
The Best Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Makers
Nitro cold brew coffee is known for its foamy texture and smooth, sweet flavor. This is something that other coffee drinks simply can’t compare with, which is why it’s become such a popular alternative to standard iced coffee drinks.
A good home system will save you a lot of money in the long run. They come with everything you need and, if you drink a lot of these drinks, they will only cost a fraction of what you’d spend at your local coffee shop.
When I selected the following nitro cold brew coffee makers, there were several features I focused on. I chose several sizes for both home and commercial use so that you can make coffee for yourself and a few others, or you can brew coffee for larger groups.
All of the machines here are full sets. The only thing you’ll need to purchase is the N2O or the CO2 cartridges.
1. HB Brewing Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- This machine features a 64-ounce keg and measures 14.5” x 7.5” x 7.5”.
- The kit includes the keg, faucet, tap handle, keg/faucet cleaning brushes, spear with pressure relief valve, 2 extra hoses for dispensing, extra O-rings, and nitro canister holder.
- This machine includes a built-in handle for carrying and brews 4 to 6 glasses per batch.
If you enjoy the rich and creamy flavor of nitro coffee, you’ll want to try out this coffee maker. It comes with a complete kit to get started quickly and easily. The canister holder can be used with 2-gram and 8-gram non-threaded N2O canisters.
There are 3 color options for this machine: stainless steel, white, and black. The tap ensures consistent pouring and limited dripping, which means every drop is placed in your cup where you want it. The built-in handle allows for easy carrying.
- This machine is portable and comes in three color options. Additionally, it includes a built-in carrying handle and a premium faucet.
- Though it works well, the plastic nitrogen cap is tricky to thread and, if mishandled, could break.
2. NutriChef Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- This machine features a 64-ounce keg and measures 14.2” x 7.5” x 7.5”.
- The kit includes the keg, spear with pressure-relief valve, wrench, silicone hose, tap handle, stout faucet N2O or N2 cartridge holder, and keg and faucet cleaning brushes.
- This machine is constructed with food-grade 304 rust-proof stainless steel and features a hexagonal screw cap.
If you’d like to have a nitro cold brew system that is sturdy and durable, you might consider checking this model out. It’s made with food-grade, rust-proof stainless steel, which means you’ll be using it for many years.
Additionally, the internal temperature of the keg is maintained, ensuring that your nitro brew coffee will remain cold for a longer period of time.
In addition to the keg, it includes an upgraded faucet with a pressurized valve to create a creamy texture by infusing N2O into your coffee. This machine is simple to put together, so you can be ready to brew your nitro coffee quickly.
The keg holds 64 ounces and features a hex cap that won’t stick, and has a built-in handle so that you can easily transport it from your counter to your fridge and vice-versa.
Finally, it’s lightweight, so you can easily take nitro cold brew when you visit your loved ones.
- This machine is easy to assemble and is made from food-grade stainless steel. It features a built-in handle and an upgraded faucet.
- The faucet does hold some coffee, so it might leak between pours. It does include a small drip cover to prevent this if you plan to store the coffee for several days.
3. Hatfields London Nitro Press
- This machine features a 17.6-ounce keg and measures 12.8” x 10” x 2.2”.
- The kit includes the keg, piston valve, charger holder, nitro nozzle, N2 chargers, and canister head.
- This machine is compatible with CO2, N2, and N2O cartridges.
If you don’t plan on storing a large container of nitro cold brew, you will love the compact design and small capacity of the Hatfields London NitroPress nitro coffee machine.
It holds up to 17.6 ounces of cold brew, which will make about 1.5 cups. This means you don’t have to be concerned with it leaking in your fridge or losing its foam before you can finish it.
This model is small and portable. It’s made of polished stainless steel, which can withstand regular use. Additionally, it’s easy to clean- simply place it in the dishwasher with the rest of your dishes.
This kit comes with everything you need to get started, including 10 NitroPress N2 chargers, so you can start making your nitro brew right away.
- This machine is portable and features interchangeable grip bands. Additionally, it allows the use of the 3 types of cartridges. Finally, it’s easy to clean.
- This machine is a bit on the expensive end of the spectrum for its small capacity, but its durability and portability make it worth the cost.
4. Beverage Elements Nitro Coffee Cold Brew Keg Kit
- This machine features a 5-gallon keg and measures 30” x 25” x 10”.
- The kit includes the keg, all lines/connections, stainless tap tower with a tap, and 40 cu ft nitrogen tank w/ regulator.
- This machine includes NSF-approved (National Sanitation Foundation) lines.
This is a larger system, ideal for offices and even coffee shops. Of course, if you drink a lot of cold brew at home or you entertain often, it’s suitable for home use as well.
The kit includes a 5-gallon stainless steel ball lock keg with a manual pressure release in the lid, rubber boot bottom, and a steel handle. The large size allows you to make enough cold brew for a large group, and it’s durable, so you can be sure it will last for years to come.
Additionally, it includes a 40-cu ft steel nitrogen cylinder, which means that you can pour all day long. There’s also a Taprite dual-gauge nitrogen regulator and stainless-steel tap tower, as well as a stout faucet with a sturdy handle. Also in the kit is a standard faucet kit, including quick disconnects for both.
In addition to making nitro cold brew, you can make regular cold brew coffee with this machine. This company also offers 2.5-gallon and 3-gallon models if you don’t need to brew 5 gallons at a time.
- This model is huge, perfect for coffee shops and large events. It’s durable and includes a high-quality regulator. Additionally, the kit includes everything you need to get started right away.
- This kit is a bit pricey due to its size, so it’s not great for those on a budget. Additionally, it brews a lot of coffee at once, so it’s not great for those who don’t drink it very often or are not entertaining.
5. Royal Brew Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- This machine features a 128-ounce keg and measures 19.5” x 7” x 5.3”.
- The kit includes the keg, cleaning brushes, nitrogen cartridge holder casing, coffee spear with a pressure release valve, faucet/tower combo wrench, carrying bag, stout creamer faucet, plastic hose, and tap plug to prevent drips.
- This machine is perfect for larger groups and comes with a lifetime warranty.
This machine proves that the best nitro cold brew system doesn’t have to be expensive, as it offers an affordable price and doesn’t sacrifice features or materials.
This system features a 128-ounce keg, allowing you to make enough coffee for you and your loved ones or enough to last you an entire week.
It’s made of food-grade stainless steel with a matte black finish on the keg. If you prefer, there is a silver model available as well.
The kit comes with everything you need to get started, except the nitrogen cartridges. You will need to purchase those separately. It can be used with both nitrogen and N2O cartridges, so you can purchase the type you prefer.
- This machine features a tap plug to keep it from leaking between pours and comes in two colors. Plus, it’s affordable.
- The keg is tall, so it doesn’t fit in your fridge as well as some of the other ones will, which means you may need to do some rearranging.
6. GrowlerWerks uKeg Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- This machine features a 50-ounce keg and measures 10.9” x 8.2” x 5.2”.
- The kit includes the coffee machine, protective bag, serving mat, coffee filter bags, funnel, and uKeg tool.
- It is double-wall, vacuum-insulated.
This all-in-one system allows you to brew cold coffee in the machine with the filter bags before infusing it with nitrogen. This means that you don’t use as many containers, which makes cleanup a lot easier.
This machine is made of stainless steel and features double-wall vacuum insulation, which means your coffee will be kept cold all day. The built-in handle makes it easy to carry, and the durable sight tube allows you to see how much you have left.
It features a sleek and stylish design and is lightweight, which means it’s easy to carry with you anywhere you go. The kit also includes a protective carrying bag and a serving mat.
- The stylish design makes it stand out from the rest of the nitro cold brew machines. It’s an all-in-one system and features double-wall vacuum insulation and a regulator cap.
- This kit is a bit more expensive than some other larger units, though the all-in-one ability makes it worth the price.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below, I’ll explain what nitro cold brew coffee is, how the machines work, and also explain how to make your own nitro cold brew coffee.
What is Nitro Cold Brew?
This is a yummy coffee drink that has elevated the coffee experience to a new level. It’s made with regular, coarse ground coffee brewed using cold/room temperature water. The coffee is then infused with nitrogen gas, which creates a drink with a decadent flavor and velvety texture that regular iced or drip coffee simply can’t compete with.
The benefit is that the nitrogen bubbles add a thickness to the coffee similar to milk without adding extra calories. Additionally, cold brewing the coffee decreases the acidity, which gives the drink a better flavor. Since it’s not bitter like regular coffee drinks, you don’t need to add sugar.
A nitro cold brew coffee is frothy and delicious from top to bottom.
How Do These Coffee Machines Work?
The process for creating nitro cold brew from regular cold brew coffee is actually a lot easier than you might think.
The container that holds the coffee features a canister holder for a nitrogen cartridge and a pressure valve that releases the nitrogen into the cold brew concentrate.
This process infuses the coffee with nitrogen, creating tiny bubbles that turn a typical cup of cold brew coffee into a creamy and decadent treat.
Steps for Making Your Nitro Cold Brew Coffee
You should know that this process is fairly simple, but it does take a bit of time. Following are the steps for making your nitro cold brew coffee.
- Grind your coffee beans – coarse is best.
- Steep grounds in cold/room temperature water for at least 12 hours. The longer you let them steep, the more flavor your coffee will have. This will create your cold brew concentrate.
- Filter out the grounds from the cold brew concentrate.
- Dilute coffee concentrate with equal parts of water.
- Pour diluted concentrate into cold brew coffee maker canister to fill line.
- Charge cold brew with nitrogen and shake for a few seconds.
- Grab your favorite glass and pour your nitro cold brew.
The Bottom Line
Nitro cold brew coffees are quite popular. You can find them on the menu boards of nearly every coffee shop across the country. However, if you drink these on a regular basis, you’ll find that you’re spending a lot of money.
It would be easier (and better on your budget) if you were able to make it at home.
Take some time to consider these top 6 nitro cold brew coffee makers and choose the one that fits your needs. You’ll be so glad you did!